About Me

My photo
Harlem, New York, United States
At a very young age I knew I wanted to do anything that involved getting my "opinion" on life out there. I would tell true stories and made up stories. I would sing and dance. I would conduct interviews and draw pictures. I just needed an outlet. My plans were to become a talk show host, until one day my mother pointed out that it would mean I'd have to do a lot of listening too. I realized talk show host wasn’t really going to work since what I really wanted was to talk and have people listen. In time I had to admit that I had much more to say than most people had time to listen to. So, I started to keep a journal. My journals helped me to formulate my thoughts and emotions but I still had no audience. Hopefully this blog will give me that audience. Blessed Be

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eighth Avenue Station

One day I was waiting for the L train at the Eighth Avenue station in Manhattan, which happens to be the last stop in the downtown direction. While I waited on the platform for the next Brooklyn bound L train to arrive I saw an Orthodox Jewish man about two train cars away, also waiting. The train pulled in. Though there were several other people also waiting, there was no one else in the car I sat in. I knew I had a few minutes at least before the train would leave the station since it would wait until the next train pulled onto the opposite track. I sat near the door and started reading my book. A second later the Jewish man stepped onto the car. He wore the typical outfit; Black coat, pants, hat, shoes and white shirt. And, lets not forget the peyes, the curls worn on the sides of the head, almost like sideburns. He entered through the door nearest to me and asked if I knew where he could get a drink nearby. I was surprised because they only speak to women in public when they really have to and even then they rarely look them in the eye. Here he was looking directly at me and asking me a question that I don't really think would be considered "must have" information.
I told him he could go upstairs and on 14th street there were lots of bars. He thanked me and stepped off the train. I laughed and went back to my book.
He then stepped back onto the train and asked if he would be able to meet women there. I couldn't believe it, what the hell... anyway, I told him I was sure he could.
He thanked me and again started to step off the train.
AGAIN... I laughed and just before I could start reading, he stepped back on and asked, "Would you like...???" I looked him straight in the eye and yelled, "NO! I wouldn't be interested!" He bowed to me a bunch of times quickly while walking out backwards, repeating, "Okay, Okay... Sorry."
I was laughing about his reaction and the fact that he was trolling for women on the train platform. But, didn't he realize how unsafe and dangerous that could be? I shook my head and went back to reading.
It was 100% a New York Moment!
So funny and yet so sick!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say this but some of those guys have mental problems because of their super religious families and rabbis! They don't know whether to stick with their frumpy wives and talk to a non-jewish girl. They even pay for sex! Some of them are even closet homosexuals believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete